Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Hopeless romantics

My tattoos (again), I have been looking for a way to explain what they mean. Cos they don't mean anything, and they mean everything.

And here it is, via this article called Forever mine: The rise of the Maori tribal tattoo.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19628418

This is the last few words;"Taia o moko, hei hoa matenga mou" (Inscribe yourself, so you have a friend in death).

Because it is forever.

The sentence immediately struck a cord with me. That is it, I am always looking for forever. The hopeless romantic declaring there is a light that never goes out.

When I look around the tattooed community on the interwebs and in real life a lot of the members of the super cool tattoo club seem to be of similar frame of mind. Not pouring their hearts out on a blog necessarily but alluding to their true loves being lost at sea.

We are the idealists,the sentimental, the dreamers and the imaginative.

I believe in passion and true love, chivalry and adventures. I am nostalgic for a bygone era of gentlemen and tea dances. I'm not even sure it existed. But it does in my head. A place where relationships are about courtship, enchantment and fascination. friendships were about loyalty, sincerity, support.

I feel beautiful with him. The one from my fairy tale. This takes me full circle. What do they mean. Nothing, everything. I feel they are my beautiful art, a constant in my life where I do not expect anything, even love, to stay with me.

Nostalgia (n)

A bittersweet longing for things, persons, or situations of the past.
A wistful or excessively sentimental yearning for return to or of some past period or irrecoverable condition.


No comments:

Post a Comment